For learning the pronunciation and grammar of European Portuguese, please see the free course available on this site. For other free online courses in Portuguese, please refer to the following links (all external links open in a new window).
- Learning Portuguese - the free pronunciation and grammar course on this site.
- Learn Portuguese with Rafa - whilst there is some commercial content, Rafa does nevertheless give away a lot of very useful information for free, and this site is well worth a look. The tone is conversational and easy to follow, and unusually, both European and Brazilian Portuguese is taught.
- Kickstart Your Portuguese - a free 1.5 hour video course on basic introductions and interactions in European Portuguese.
- Practice Portuguese - A mixture of free and paid for tools, podcasts, videos, and an app, specifically for European Portuguese.
- Sonia Portuguese - there is a paid-for course and grammar book available, but Sonia also provides lots of free content, specialising in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Basic Portuguese Language Tutorial - mostly vocabulary lists, but also some short grammar lessons. Brazilian and European alternatives are given, but it is not always made clear which is which.
- Facebook Portuguese Tips - Bite-size lessons delivered straight to your Facebook newsfeed. Emphasis on European Portuguese (yay!), but the frequency of posts is not as great as it used to be.
- Portuguese Langauge Guide - Tips and tools for learning Portuguese, with a verb conjugator and language tests to check your progress.
- Online Courses - This site links through to various openware courses from different universities - at the time of writing there is one course listed for Portuguese from MIT, which is mainly Brazilian. Check out the other subjects on onlinecourses.com too - lots of good stuff!
- BBC Talk Portuguese - an introduction to basic vocabulary for tourists, covering a mixture of Brazilian and European usage.
- Foreign Services Institute - a US-government language course (now in the public domain, and published by Glen D Fellows) for Brazilian Portuguese, including notes about European differences. Consists of a total of 48 units in 2 volumes - typewritten and available as PDF downloads. Accompanying audio files (mp3) are also available for download.
- Easy Portuguese - a collection of lessons in Brazilian Portuguese. Audio files available. Lots of adverts though!
- Tá Falado - also Brazilian I'm afraid, but with the specific slant of teaching English-speakers who are already familiar with Spanish. Lessons are delivered as podcasts, with PDF transcripts.
For more courses that are not entirely free (but might contain a free trial), see this page: Commercial Portuguese Courses